Welcome to the AAPA membership web page. This page describes the benefits and categories of membership in the AAPA and provides access to the AAPA membership website where you can:
- apply for membership (if you are a non-member)
- renew your membership or change your membership category
- view your user profile
- access the AJPA and the Yearbook of Physical Anthropology
- search the membership directory
Note: access to the membership directory and to AAPA publications is available only to AAPA members.
To apply for, or renew, membership via regular mail rather than online, see the link at the bottom of this page.
Membership categories and fees
Membership in the AAPA is divided into three major types: Regular, Special, and Student. Assuming that they fulfill all other requirements of attendance, members in all categories can attend AAPA meetings at the members’ registration rate appropriate for their membership type. All members also receive all communications from the AAPA and electronic access to AAPA publications. All members may submit nominations for elected positions, but only Regular members may vote and serve in elected positions.
Applicants for Regular, Special, and Student membership must be approved by the Membership Chair and by a vote of the membership at the annual business meeting of the AAPA.
- Regular membership is open to professional anthropologists showing evidence of professional capacity and substantial professional experience, professionals in cognate sciences, and others who have demonstrated qualification by publication or professional activities.
- Regular members are expected to hold a doctorate degree in anthropology or a cognate science or possess a minimum of 5 years of professional anthropological experience. Those not qualifying for Regular Membership should apply for Special Membership.
- Regular members are entitled to vote in AAPA elections, and to hold office in the Association.
Rate categories of Regular Membership:
- Regular Member – Full rate ($130 for 2019; rate will increase to $170 for 2020*) Professional anthropologists or scientists in cognate sciences who hold tenure-line or permanent professional positions in anthropology or related fields.
- Regular Member – Contingent rate (including Postdoc) ($105) Professional anthropologists or scientists in cognate sciences who hold temporary postdoctoral, non-tenure line faculty, or other temporary professional positions in anthropology or related fields.
- Regular Member — Retired rate (Emeritus/a) ($65) Retired membership is available to regular members who have retired, normally after 25 years as AAPA members in good standing. Retired members are relieved of payment of Association dues without impairment of standing but must continue to pay part of the costs of electronic access to Association publications. Retired member rates are subsidized similar to Student member rates. A change from Regular to Retired membership must be formally requested when membership is renewed following retirement. This request must be approved by the Membership Chair and members of the Executive Committee. Retired members receive all benefits of Regular membership.
- Regular Member – Qualifying Country rate – ($40) To assist with membership for those in developing economies, a qualifying country membership rate for Regular membership is available to residents of some countries. Click here for the qualifying country list.
- Student membership is open to bona fide students for a maximum of ten years. Extensions for additional years are subject to annual reapplication.
- Student members are eligible for student prizes, but do not vote in elections. They may nominate Regular members for office.
- Student members receive all other benefits of membership.
- Student applicants must provide the name and contact information of a professional reference (faculty member or advisor) who can attest to their student status and qualifications for membership in the Association.
Rate categories of Student Membership:
- Student Member rate – ($65) Bona fide undergraduate or graduate students in anthropology or cognate sciences.
- Student Member – Qualifying Country rate – ($20) To assist with membership for those in developing economies, a qualifying country membership rate for Student membership is available to residents of some countries. Click here for the qualifying country list.
- Special membership is designed for persons with a professional interest in biological anthropology who either do not desire or do not meet the requirements for membership in any other category.
- This category is also appropriate for professional anthropologists who do not possess a doctorate and do not have at least five years of professional experience beyond their terminal degree.
- Special members do not vote in AAPA elections and are not allowed to hold office, but they can nominate Regular members for office and they receive all other benefits of membership.
Rate Categories of Special Membership:
- Special Member – Full rate ($130 for 2019; rate will increase to $170 for 2020*) Persons with a professional interest in biological anthropology who do not meet the requirements for regular membership.
- Special Member – Contingent rate ($105) Persons with a professional interest in biological anthropology who do not meet the requirements for regular membership, are in a temporary or a permanent position but do not have the 5 years of professional experience required for non-PhD Regular members.
- Special Member -- Qualifying Country rate – ($40) To assist with membership for those in developing economies, a qualifying country membership rate for Special membership is available to residents of some countries. Click here for the qualifying country list.
If you have questions about the status of your membership, membership application, membership categories, or qualifications or requirements for membership, please contact Dr. Kristi Lewton, membership chair, at: [email protected].
* 2020 Full rate will be implemented on September 16, 2019.